Both data scientist and data engineers are the part of team who analyze the business and convert its raw data into useful information for decision making and betterment, growth of business.
Both play an important role in business analysis and making strategic decision for improvement of business.
Who is data scientist?
Data Scientists are responsible for solving business problem by doing statistical analysis on the data, build a model and generate an insight for the business to solve the problem. The problems can be more complex than that of data engineers.
Data scientist are mainly concerned with performing these tasks. However these tasks can vary depending upon the requirement of the business or post.
- Carrying out deep analysis on a large volume of data prepared by the data engineers. The analysis can be from basic to advance level.
- Data integration and optimization with the help of machine learning and in some cases deep learning. He should be well aware of machine learning and deep learning principles.
- Database/SQL knowledge is the key in optimization.
- Reporting and visualization of data. For this, data scientist may use R/Pythong or Hadoop skills.
- Building of models for the business. The knowledge of business is also necessary.
Who is data engineer?
These are the persons who are responsible for generation of data. They do the task by building a platform/framework/infrastructure and architecture.
Data engineering revolves around creation of data. Data engineer works on specific areas of data and answer the different types of questions which are helpful to understand the data.
Some duties (job description) performed by Data Engineers are briefly described here. The duties may vary from company to company.
- Gather the required data.
- The record of metadata about data.
- How the data is stored and technologies associated with optimization of data like NoSQL, Hadoop or any other technology.
- Processing of data with the help of tools to transform and summarize it for specific purpose.
- Who can access the data
- Ensuring the data security, data encryption and access of data.
Data Scientist Vs Data Engineer
Besides some differences mentioned in the above table, there are some overlapping skills of the data scientist and data engineers. These include knowledge of programming languages (R/Python), big data and working with data sets.
The work of data scientist and data engineer are very closely related to each other. For a business to be successful, the specific role according to their posts is necessary. A business while creating the posts of data scientist and data engineer must be careful in defining their duties, which ultimately play role business success.
You may also like: Data Science Vs Machine Learning